Set of eight vintage mid-century glasses and caddy by Georges Briard.
Caddy: 13"l x 8"w x 7"h.
Each glass is 6 1/2"h x 3" diameter.
Georges Braird, born 1917, as Jascha Brojdo in the Ukraine, was a noted, award winning designer in the 50s, 60s, and 70s.
Most famous for dishware and glassware, his signature collection was stocked at noted department stores such as Neiman Marcus and Bonwit Teller.
Born in Russia, he moved to Chicago from Poland in 1937. He studied at the Art Institute of Chicago where he earned his MFA while living with relatives. He served in the U.S. Army throughout World War II as a Russian interpreter.
As an Army interpreter fluent in several languages, he served on Gen. George S. Patton's staff.
In 1947, he was discharged from the Army and started working in New York with Max Wille, whom he had met in art school.
Brojdo began painting metal serving trays for sale, and evidently Wille came up with the name Georges Briard to mark commercial pieces.
Brodjo was also a painter and would use his real name on his art pieces, but Georges Briard became his signature as a designer of these commercial articles, which were wildly popular and numerous.
His notable designs were produced first by M. Wille Company, and later in a partnership with Philip Stetson.
In 2004, he was awarded the Frank S. Child Lifetime Achievement Award by The Society of Glass and Ceramic Decorators, in honor of his extraordinary contributions to the glass and ceramic decorating industry.
Due to the limited nature and age of vintage accessories, this item is non-returnable.